Saturday, April 10, 2010

The broncs and the blood.

So the rodeo.

It was the absolute greatest thing.

Even better than last time because now I have boots.

On a random to note, I think the rodeo was the first time my boots touched actual dirt.

I know, I know. I am such a poser.

Anyway. Bareback riding. Kind of makes my body hurt just thinking about it. There was much snap, snap, snapping of the cowboys' necks and backs.

There was also much losing of hats.

Which apparently only I was concerned about.

I was also concerned for the cowboys' eyes during the steer wrestling. There was a lot of horns near the eyes business.

Apparently this was not a valid worry either. Whatever.

The saddle bronc riding was a lot prettier than bareback riding. Not so much snapping, and more fluid motions. So whiplash was less of a concern. Relatively.

But all of this was next to nothing compared to bull riding. At least the horses didn't seem all that interested in trampling their rider after he had been thrown.

The bulls did not allow the same courtesy. There was a lot of running and jumping onto the fence.

And bulls are huge.

Also, I noticed that the bull riders all wore these helmets, while everyone in the other events just wore their cowboy hats.

Special helmets spells danger.

And of course I played my favorite game of "how-many-consecutive-questions-can-I-ask-in-one-breath" throughout. Surprisingly, no one really seemed to mind all that much. So all of my questions were answered.

So I'm basically a rodeo expert now.

Seriously. Ask me anything.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I'm glad you had a good rodeo. I wish I could have gone also. I'm sad you didn't get to see hotwire. I think you get all the worrying about neck, eyes, etc from me. Sorry.

Unknown said...

Why do they name the bulls? Do they name the broncs? Did your boots step in some real "recycled hay"? Did the clowns make you happy or sad or scared? Who won the Dodge truck? Why do people ride a bull anyway? Didn't they ever see the movie "Eight Seconds"? Now that I know you are such a rodeo buff, I can only wonder why you didn't share your love for rodeo events in your younger years when we were trying to catch those massive pygmy goats when they got out of their pen on occassion? I guess some talents are discovered as we mature, right?

Jeff said...

The previous comment was by Dad and not Melissa.

Melissa The Beautiful said...

I have so many good things to say about this. As evidenced by my previous comment.

bahaha

Dust and the mud.